There is a stage every Overland Park winter when you can’t seem to find the root of the draft in your home. It could possibly be coming from a window that isn’t secured or sealed properly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uneasy and cold, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
Consistent with the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your regular energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with appropriately sealed windows. To help cut back and cut down drafty air from passing through your home, it’s essential to be able to identify where these window drafts may be coming from and why. Here are some beneficial tips to identify your Overland Park home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Search for gaps and fractures in unusual locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the normal windows with functional abilities and use a painless visual inspection.
- Inspect to ensure that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Guarantee the sealant or gasket around the operable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Inspect the installation by establishing if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the harsh opening. A window will only operate as well as it is installed.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Overland Park to have them conduct a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to attend to the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Overland Park a call at 913-246-5101 with any further questions or possible replacement needs.